1998 Southwest Yard & Garden Archives




  • March 23, 1998
    Tomato Tree Question
    Applying Manure and Compost to the Spring Garden
  • March 30, 1998
    Roots From Cut Trees Growing?
    New Mexico Forest Re-leaf Tax Check Off


  • April 6, 1998
    Cutting Problem Tree Roots
    Wood Ashes in the Garden
  • April 13, 1998
    Grub Worms in the Garden
    Growing Lettuce in New Mexico Gardens
  • April 27, 1998
    Plastic Mulch to Warm Soil
    Spring Flowering Bulbs for New Mexico


  • May 11,1998
    Gray, Green, and Yellow "Moss" (Lichen) on Sick Trees
  • May 18, 1998
    Thinning Fruit to Prevent broken branches
    When to Plant Grass in Northern New Mexico
  • May 25, 1998
    Effect of Forest Fire Smoke on Garden
    Cherry Fruit Drop


  • June 1, 1998
    Poor Cherry Crop Due to Poor Pollination
    Composting Kitchen Wastes
  • June 8, 1998
    Attract Hummingbirds to the Garden
    Don't use an Icepick to "inject" Insecticide



  • August 3, 1998
    It's OK to Summer Prune Damaged branches
    Weeds Taking Over


  • September 7, 1998
    Sticky Stuff on Potted Bay Tree
    Yellow Stuff Growing on Bark Mulch
  • September 14, 1998
    To Fertilize or Not To Fertilize New Trees and Shrubs
    Starting a Peach From a Seed
  • September 21, 1998
    Is it Good to Drain Evaporative Coolers in the Garden?
    Lemons and Limes
    Geranium Cuttings


  • October 26, 1998
    Skinny Pampas Grass Revisited
    What to do with Left-Over Pesticides



Desert Blooms Website

Marisa Y. Thompson, PhD, is the Extension Horticulture Specialist, in the Department of Extension Plant Sciences at the New Mexico State University Los Lunas Agricultural Science Center, email: desertblooms@nmsu.edu, office: 505-865-7340, ext. 113.


For more gardening information, visit the NMSU Extension Horticulture page at Desert Blooms and the NMSU Horticulture Publications page.

Send gardening questions to Southwest Yard and Garden - Attn: Dr. Marisa Thompson at desertblooms@nmsu.edu, or at the Desert Blooms Facebook page.

Please copy your County Extension Agent and indicate your county of residence when you submit your question!